In the United States, many individuals who wish to join the field of nursing, opt to start by enrolling in a LVN (Licensed Vocational Nurse) program and think of enrolling into ADN or BSN programs afterwards. The reason behind this is that an LVN program takes shorter time to complete as compared to other programs such as the BSN, which takes four years to complete.
In recent years, many LVNs have embraced the trend of enrolling in bridge programs with the aim of becoming registered nurses. This is simply because registered nurses earn a higher salary compared to the licensed vocational nurses. A large number of employers also choose to hire nurses who have higher education credentials. If you are looking forward to becoming a registered nurse, the following is what you should know about LVN to RN programs.
There are two types of LVN to RN bridge programs. You can study to earn an ADN (Associate’s Degree in Nursing) or a BSN (Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing). The ADN bridge program normally takes a short time to complete. The fact that you already have a diploma or a certificate in vocational nursing after studying for at least one year will allow you to take one year to complete the ADN program. You will however have to study longer if you want to earn a BSN. You will take a minimum of two years to complete that program.
Where are LVN to RN Programs Offered?
It is vitally important to be informed!
Be sure to request information from more than one school in order to compare which program is best for you.
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Registered Nurse to Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
- And more...
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Practical Nursing Diploma
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Clinical Support
- Medical Assisting Diploma
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Nursing
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- And more...
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- We're now Non-Profit.
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- RN-BSN (Bachelor of Science) - Online
- Dual Degree: MSN-MBA (MSN-MBA) - Online
- MSN Nursing Administration & Leadership (Master of Science) - Online
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Nursing (BS)
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (MSN)
- And more...
If you don’t see the exact program you are searching for above, consider searching in a different state, or by an alternate program/course name. Use our in-depth search tool below to help you find the best school for your new career. Our database includes over 3000 ground schools or campuses, as well as thousands of online programs. This helps you ensure you find a rewarding education.
LVN to RN bridge programs are offered in many vocational schools, universities and colleges both on-campus and online. The aim of the programs is to expand the existing expertise and knowledge that a nurse already has. With the education offered in these institutions, a nurse is able to sit for the NCLEX-RN exam, which allows him/her to become a registered nurse after passing it. To be precise, ADN programs are usually offered at community colleges while BSN programs are offered by liberal arts universities and colleges. The cost of the different programs varies depending on certain factors such as the duration of the program and the quality of education among other factors.
Note that LVN to RN programs normally teach similar subjects as the ones taught in LVN programs. The only difference is that the scope of study is a bit higher. You will expand your knowledge in physiology, anatomy, first aid and pharmacology. You will also learn new practical skills. However, if you opt to earn a bachelor’s degree, you will not only expand on the knowledge that you already have but you will also take classes in critical thinking, communication and leadership.
Just as different schools take a different duration of time to complete a certain program, the admission requirements in different schools differ. However, there are some similar admission requirements in all schools. Examples of these requirements include having a GED or high school diploma, a GPA of at least 3.0, a transcript of records from an accredited Licensed Vocational Nursing program and a set amount of hours that one has worked in a medical facility.
Advantages of LVN to RN Bridge Programs
There are many advantages that come with these programs. First, your chances of employment are increased since many employers choose to employ nurses who have higher education credentials. You also get the opportunity to earn a higher salary after completing a bridging program. In general you can expect to earn between $43,000 and $68,000 dollars per annum, not to mention that the compensation packages and benefits you get are better compared to those offered to licensed vocational nurses.
Enrolling in an LVN to RN bridge program also allows you to save time since these programs are usually accelerated. You can take classes at your own convenient time so that they will not interfere with your work schedule or family responsibilities.